Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Cooling off for a Wednesday Hodgepodge!


1. Is your home air conditioned? If it's not air conditioned, is that by choice? Did you grow up with air conditioning? If not how did you cope with the heat? Share about a time or place you remember as being too hot-the temperature kind of hot, lest anyone be confused.


It is air conditioned, and yes I did grow up with it. I do remember growing up in schools that were not. If the temperature hit 90 degrees by 10:00 am, we got out early.  The one time I remember being too hot, was when I think I was 7 years old and we went to Boston for a vacation. We stayed at the Copley Square Hotel. On the day in question, we had tickets to see the Red Sox play at Fenway Park, because that is how our family rolls---sporting events and vacations unite. My Dad said we could walk to Fenway; it was a short walk. Needless to say it was not a short walk, it was extremely hot, and when we got to Fenway Park, they ran out of ice. My Dad has yet to live this down.


2. What's something in your life right now that falls under the heading 'up in the air'?


Hmmm...let me think...our adoption? Still praying!

3. Your favorite light and airy dessert?


Lemon meringue pie. Hands down! This will be the next type of cupcakes I make as well. 

4. When did you last feel like you were 'floating on air'?


This whole year I feel like I have been "floating on air" career wise. I made a change to leave teaching fifth grade to become a STEM teacher in a Title I school. I now teach Prek-5 and love every minute of it! I feel like I am rejuvenated. I've been "floating on air" all year!

5. Airport, airmail, airtight, airhead...which have you most recently encountered? Explain.

Airhead, unfortunately it was me yesterday. I was such a ditz. I was tidying up my pantry and it was all done. I realized I forgot to put something in one of the bins, so instead of taking the bin off the shelf, I simply tried to lift the lid, and place the item in the bin. In return, I caused a chain reaction, which left me with a half of a container of cocoa powder pouring from the top of the pantry all the way to the bottom. Have you ever tried to clean up cocoa powder? Don't use a wet rag, go straight for the vacuum cleaner.



6.  Have you ever been to the Alps? If so where did you go? If not, is this a destination on your must-see list? If you were headed that direction this summer, which of the following would be your preferred activity...a gentle walk, a serious walk, a bike ride, a boat ride around one of the lakes, or summer snow skiing?


I have never been to the ALPS. If I was headed that way this summer a boat ride would be my choice.


7. What is one saying or phrase that was considered 'cool' when you were growing up?


Saying something was "bad" but meaning it was really good. That was very popular. At school, all my students are obsessed with "Bye Felicia." I must admit, I had to Google it to see what it meant! I felt so old.



8. Insert your own random thought here.


So I've been actively tidying up my house using the Konmari method from the book, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I'm starting to think this could be my "nesting" phase. You know, how pregnant women in their third trimester start to organize and clean right before they go into labor? Perhaps we will be getting a call soon to say we have been matched with a birth mother. I hope so!!!


3 comments:

  1. Your "short" walk to Fenway reminded me of my "short" walk to the trolly stop in Phoenix. Needless to say, there was no trolley (they need to update map!) and at least there was a bench with a mister on every other corner! Thanks for bring up that memory! Fingers crossed for a match! Another teacher stopping by from Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had plenty of kitchen/pantry disasters in my lifetime. Cocoa powder has not been on that list so far.

    I can imagine how you felt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dog is so cute : ) Praying all the nesting you're doing now means all you're hoping it does!

    ReplyDelete