Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge---Just in time for Turkey Day!


1. Turkey-love it or leave it? White meat or dark? What's your favorite thing to make using leftover turkey?

Love it!!! White meat only please: ) I don't make anything fancy with leftover turkey. i do love turkey sandwiches and turkey and rice. My mom growing up would always make turkey and rice in a skillet. The only place I can get it now, off season that is, is at Cracker Barrel on Saturday nights. We don't have one near us unfortunately.

2. Gotta burn off all those carbs the day after a holiday feast so which would you rather do-run a 10K or climb a mountain?

I would rather run a 10K. My hubby and I do a Turkey Trot 5K the morning of Thanksgiving on Main Street in Laurel. So that puts us ahead of the game before the feast.

3. Do you feel like social networking has made your relationships better or worse? Explain.

Better I guess. I love connecting with old friends and students. Often as a teacher you never find out what happened to some of your favorite students, so social networking has allowed that, which is fabulous. Of course with that being said, I almost quit FB twice this year because of ignorance and political opinions. I'm all about free speech, but I am not about insulting others just because there is an outlet. No wonder schools have such issues with cyberbullying. Apple...tree... just sayin'.


4. How do you find and express gratitude for the hard things in your life?
Phew... this is a hard one Mrs. D.  I know I am grateful that I am able to have a roof over my head, a successful career, and a loving family. I still question this path I am on every day though. I know God has a plan for me, and I try to allow myself to be guided, but sometimes I don't understand how I got here. How did I end up a cancer survivor? How did I end up not able to have children? I know God would not give me anything that I can't handle, but I'm starting to think he has too high of expectations for me : )

5. In the US, the day after Thanksgiving has been dubbed 'Black Friday'. Is most of your holiday shopping done live and in person, or is it done more through the magic of the Internet? How do you feel about stores opening at midnight Thanksgiving night? Will you be out amongst the masses on Friday?
Growing up "Black Friday" was a tradition for all of the women in our family. So once of appropriate shopping age, I joined my aunt, mother, and grandmother for the craziness of shopping the day after Thanksgiving. Over the past three years though, it has become too much. I don't truly believe I am getting that much better of a deal, besides I've become an excellent summer Christmas shopper. Now with this nonsense of opening Thanksgiving night, goodness! Is there any gift that is really worth it? I will be out that morning though since I live across the street from Kohl's, Target, and Hobby Lobby. I will not be venturing to a mall. I will get my coffee and walk across the street. Will I buy anything? Probably. I usually get up early anyway to send my hubby off to his week of hunting. A hunter's widow I am this time of the year. He hunts, I shop!

6. Speaking of the color black-which black item in your wardrobe would you say is your favorite?
This is a very hard question. I think I have 2 favorites. I have a LBD that I love. i have had it for 10+ years, oh and it still fits : ) It is off the shoulder with a flirty ruffle around the bottom. I just love it. My second favorite, currently, is my black Dansko shoes. After 17 years of teaching, there is a lot to be said for a pair of supportive black shoes. I really don't want varicose veins in my legs from hours of standing in heels. I did have my time of wearing very cute heels to teach every day. Now is not that time however. I just had no idea how comfortable a pair of shoes could be. I would highly recommend them to anyone who is a teacher.

7. What do you appreciate about your life today?
I appreciate having a close family. We are so fortunate to live in the same state. I see my nephews all the time. My hubby and I see our parents once a week. Not only re we close geographically, but also in our relationship. When someone is diagnosed with cancer, everyone pitches in to help that person "survive." Although having cancer was horrific, it brought us even closer. We don't take a single day for granted.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I really miss my grandparents. I lost my grandmother and grandfather about 7-8 years ago. My grandmother never met my husband. I believe she would have really liked him. My grandfather did meet my hubby. I remember he said to me, "Is this guy finally the one? We have been waiting a long time for you to get married." Nothing like being blunt and to the point. He didn't make it to the wedding though. My grandparents loved to dance and play tennis. My grandmother was always dressed to the nines, and used to call me "Wendy-Doo." I don't know why but she always did. What i wouldn't give for one more Thanksgiving with both of them.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm hopping over from Joyce's blog today and wanted to leave my little footprint on your post. I loved reading your answers and will wish you a peaceful and happy Thanksgiving to you and your family....and a peaceful browse in Hobby Lobby on Friday morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandparents are wonderful people, I have lost all of mine and miss them terribly. The holidays seem to bring to remembrance those that aren't here anymore, don't they? Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shan and I were talking today about how fun it is to be in touch with you via the Internet. Know that I am praying for your adoption plans. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping over. So nice to meet you. Make sure you get the original B&W from 1947 Miracle on 34th Street with Natalie Wood. First I want to say that I am thankful that you are a cancer survivor.
    ((HUGS)) Your a runner, that is awesome. I have severe asthma/COPD and running has always been a dream of mine. I like to shop during the year and there are always great deals to be had! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete