Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge #2 for me!


My second week at Hodgepodge. Thank you Mrs. D for letting me join in. ( I can't call you by your first name like everyone else--Just doesn't seem right.)

1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758....besides the online version, do you own a dictionary? Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days?
 
I own a few hardcover editions, but they are all in my classroom. At school I make my students use the hardcover dictionaries. they think it is fun! Oh the novelty of a book. At home, usually when I need to know the meaning of a word, I am reading my Kindle, so I just look it up on there.

2. Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations? What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire?
I think schools should not ban Halloween celebrations. My first school I taught in did it perfectly, and they still do : ) The last hour of the day was the Halloween parade. Students did not put their costumes on until then. How fun it was though to see everyone in their costumes from Kindergarten up to 5th. ( Don't tell anyone but even the teachers liked dressing up ).
 
I despise the fact that even Christmas is now under fire. I want to be able to put a mini tree in my room, or decorate my classroom with red and green. I still give personalized Christmas ornaments out to my students ( oh the horror!). I make sure I know the holidays that all of my students celebrate, and we honor them all. But why can't I celebrate my own holiday? Do we always have to be politically correct every day of the year? I am not preaching religion to my students, but I do use this holiday to help them understand the noncommercial side of Christmas.

3. What's your favorite 'dog' movie?
Homeward Bound

4. When were you last somewhere you'd describe as 'too quiet'?
The waiting room in the mammogram office. Need I say more?

5. Are you a neat cook or a messy cook? In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later?
I am a messy cook! My husband always says the messier the kitchen, the better the meal: ) Gosh, I love him ( especially when he cleans up afterwards).

6. Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute? Was your first thought COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY! Are you adventurous?
My first thought was WHAT?! WHY?! HOW?!  I am terrified of heights so I am only adventurous to a certain point. To me though, he is crazy, but my students think he is way COOL!

7. What's not a word but should be?
STEMify---The new buzz at school is to take a lesson and add the elements of STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). So I say we want the teachers to "stemify" their lessons. It is better than what the county says, "stemulate". That isn't a word either but I like my word better ; )

8.Only 3 days until I walk the runway to support cancer awareness in young adults (ages 18-39).
 
I received my orders from the hair and makeup team. Exfoliate tonight, moisturize 3 times a day until the day of the show. I did finally find a pair of shoes to walk the runway in:
Funny thing? I am borrowing them from my 5 ft tall oriental nail lady. She is so sweet! And believe it or not these shoes are comfortable!

2 comments:

  1. Well you are still Miss S to us : ) So convenient you married an S too.
    2 in a row-yay!

    You should definitely post some pics from the big day! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your answers to the questions.
    I totally agree with you on #2.
    Stemify...I like it!
    I hope you have a great time walking the runway!!!

    ReplyDelete