Thursday, September 13, 2012

Model Perfect?!

So for the past year and a half, my breast cancer has been in remission. Since I've been diagnosed, I've had many opportunities to be honored as a survivor--from Race for the Cure events to being part of an NFL survivor ceremony on the field at a game  I even got to meet Martina McBride last year!  This year, I was planning on laying low and hanging up my pink threads, but then I got a call. There is an organization called the We Believe Foundation.


 It provides financial aid for young survivors who may need help paying for treatment if they don't have insurance.  They help pay for wigs, fertility preservation, and many other things. So every year they host a fundraising  event called "A Night of Pink Hope".  It is a fashion show! They have 25 models, 6 of which are young cancer survivors. Guess who gets to be a model? Now keep in mind I am 5'4" and no where close to being fabulous enough to be a model. Maybe when I was 20ish and in the best shape of my life, but definitely not as a 30 something in my after cancer body and with lymphedema.  I even have to attend Model Boot camp for 4 hours next weekend! Oh goodness! On the plus side,  I get to be fitted by a professional stylist and have my hair and makeup done. Paul Wharton (Real Housewives of DC) will be the emcee for the evening.

I haven't even told you the best part yet! Every year they have a theme for the event. This year's theme is "family". The foundation wants to send the message that it takes a village to help someone battle cancer, and caregivers are just as important as the person diagnosed with cancer. So I get to honor my wonderful mother, my best friend Jenn, and my amazing husband. We will have a professional photo shoot next week together, and then they will use those photos and my information, to retell my story and journey the night of the fashion show. I have never been able to truly thank those closest to me for all they did to help me through chemo, surgery and radiation, so I am tickled pink to be able to do this for them. (Can you tell I taught idioms at school today? Ha!) My best girlfriends are all buying tickets for the event to support me. I am the luckiest girl ever!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting...I'm sure you'll be great : ) Enjoy the VIP treatment!

    ReplyDelete